Bathtub reglazing costs a fraction of buying a new bathtub, and it takes less than a day to complete. After hearing this, many of our customers immediately ask, “But how long does it last?” With proper care, a refinished bathtub can last 15 years or more, making it a worthy investment for any bathroom renovation. Let’s take a closer look at how you can preserve your refinished bathtub.
How Long Does Bathtub Reglazing Last?
The glazing for most refinished bathtubs lasts 10-15 years, but it can last even longer with the right care. Here are some factors that influence how long bathtub refinishing lasts:
- How frequently the bathtub is used. A bathtub in a large family home may get more wear and tear than one in a bachelor pad. Not only is the tub used more often, but it must be cleaned more often. This adds to the wear.
- How well the tub is cared for. If a tub is never cleaned, the layers of dirt and grime can damage the refinished coating. Caked-on grime typically requires abrasive cleaning to remove, which will also impact the life of the glaze. For best results, we recommend cleaning your bathtub at least once a month.
- How long the tub was left to cure after reglazing. It’s important to leave a tub to cure for at least 48 hours before using it. The top surface may feel dry before the coating is cured from top to bottom. Proper curing ensures the tub lasts as long as possible.
- Non-slip bathmats. The suction cups at the bottom of these mats put additional wear on the glaze. If you would like a slip-resistant additive for your bathtub refinishing, we can arrange that during your consultation. This will eliminate the need for a bath mat and preserve your overall investment.
- Other bathroom remodeling projects. The bathtub is often used as a catch-all during bathroom remodeling projects. You may be tempted to throw old tile or fixtures in the tub as you remodel. However, this can influence its lifespan. Protect the tub well with tarps before using it to hold other materials.
- How well the tub was prepared before refinishing. If the bathtub is not properly prepped for reglazing, the new coating may not adhere well to the old one. Check out the next section of this guide to learn more about the importance of proper preparation.
Professional Bathtub Refinishing vs. DIY Bathtub Refinishing
If you are thinking about refinishing your bathtub yourself, we strongly advise against it. These bathtub remodeling projects do not last nearly as long as professional bathtub reglazing. The chemicals we use to reglaze a bathtub are powerful and require special care. The chemicals sold in kits are diluted and much less effective. The kits also do not provide the proper preparation tools to create a firm seal between the old tub and the new glaze. Simply put, they are a waste of money. Professional bathtub refinishing is surprisingly affordable. Call 877-717-8827 for a quote and see for yourself!
Can You Get a Refinished Bathtub Refinished Again?
Yes, you can get a bathtub refinished even if it has been refinished in the past. That is yet another perk of this process. If your glaze loses its sheen 10 or 15 years down the road, you can simply get your tub refinished again. The cost may be slightly higher because the tub will require a little extra prep work. As long as the tub is structurally sound though, you’re good to go!
So…Does Bathtub Reglazing Last?
As you can see, bathtub reglazing can last quite a whole with proper care. Follow our tips to maintain your refinished bathtub, and you can enjoy a great-looking tub for years to come – all at a fraction of what you’d pay for a new one.