Flippers are always looking for ways to reduce remodeling costs without sacrificing profits. Way back in 2016, we put out a blog post emphasizing the benefits of tile refinishing for flippers. And now, years later, the king of flipping houses on HGTV agrees!
Tile Refinishing Featured on HGTV’s Flipping 101
Tarek El Moussa from HGTV’s Flip or Flop has his own spinoff series known as Flipping 101. In this show, he teaches novice flippers where to spend and save money to maximize their profits. Normally he tells flippers to completely gut the kitchen and bathrooms for their flips, but he had a change of heart in a recent episode.
In season 2, episode 3 called “Location, Location, Laundromat,” the flippers tell Tarek they want to refinish the tile in the home’s main bathroom. They replaced the floor tile, vanity and accent features to make the space feel completely remodeled, but the wall tile was refinished to a crisp white.
Tarek was hesitant about the idea during the discussion phases, and he told them he’d ask them to rip out the tile if he didn’t like it. The flippers took the gamble, and to everyone’s surprise, Tarek approved of the transformation!
The Reason Tarek Approved Tile Refinishing for This House Flip
It’s important to note that not every refinishing project would be Tarek approved. In this case, the home was in a modest neighborhood with ‘midgrade’ houses. The refinishing job was done professionally, not with some DIY paint from a hardware store. The results looked professional, and it wasn’t a million-dollar mansion. Without these factors, replacing the tile may have been a smarter investment.
Why Refinishing Is Perfect for Flippers
As a whole, tile refinishing is perfect for house flippers. It reduces expenses by about 75%, and it speeds up renovation time. Rather than demolishing the kitchen and bathroom and completely replacing the tile, you can leave everything where it is. The refinishers will come in, repair imperfections in the tile, and apply a new coating over the tile and the grout.
You can choose any color you like, whether it be white like these flippers chose or a faux stone look. Just leave the tile to cure for a couple days, and you can get the house on the market! This is a fast, easy, and affordable way to make a kitchen or bathroom look like new.
Other Refinishing Projects for House Flippers
Tile refinishing isn’t the only way to save money on your upcoming flip. Consider these options as well:
- Countertop Refinishing: This works on tile countertops, laminate, manufactured stone, and a variety of other materials. Achieve the look of stone without the hefty expense, and you can still promote your flip as “newly remodeled.”
- Backsplash Refinishing: This can be the same color as your countertops, or you can choose a different color for the backsplash.
- Bathtub Refinishing: Whether the tub is a strange color or just dingy looking, bathtub refinishing can make it look brand new.
- Shower Pan Refinishing: As long as the shower pan is structurally sound, you can refinish it without having to replace it.
- Clawfoot Tub Refinishing: Buyers love seeing a classic clawfoot tub restored to its former glory. Replacing that tub can be a nightmare to take on, but refinishing it is easy with us on your side.
Reach out to Maryland Tub and Tile to schedule a free estimate for refinishing services. We work with homeowners, flippers and property managers alike. Call 877-717-8827 to start your affordable home makeover.